Home > E-maristes > Our Lady Patroness > Our Lady of Einsiedeln

 


 



 


Social networking

Marist Brothers

RSS YouTube FaceBook Twitter

 

Today's picture

Brazil: CMMF: Fraternity "Mãe de Deus" - Taguatinga

Marist Brothers - Archive of pictures

Archive of pictures

 

Latest updates

 


Calls of the XXII General Chapter



FMSI


Archive of updates

 

Marist Calendar

22 May

Saint Rita of Cascia
International Day of Biodiversity (ONU)

Marist Calendar - May

Our Lady of Einsiedeln

 

Regional patroness of Switzerland

Einsiedeln Abbey is a Benedictine monastery in the town of Einsiedeln in the Canton of Schwyz, Switzerland. The abbey is dedicated to Our Lady of the Hermits, the title being derived from the circumstances of its foundation, from which the name Einsiedeln is also said to have originated. It is a territorial abbacy and not part of a diocese.HistorySaint Meinrad, of the family of the Counts of Hohenzollern, was educated at the abbey school of Reichenau, an island in Lake Constance, under his kinsmen Abbots Hatto and Erlebald, where he became a monk and was ordained. After some years at Reichenau, and the dependent priory of Bollingen, on Lake Zurich, he embraced an eremitical life and established his hermitage on the slopes of Etzel (mountain), taking with him a wonder-working statue of Our Lady which he had been given by the Abbess Hildegarde of Zurich. He died in 861 at the hands of robbers who coveted the treasures offered at the shrine by devout pilgrims, but during the next eighty years the place was never without one or more hermits emulating Saint Meinrads example. One of them, named Eberhard, previously Provost of Strassburg, erected a monastery and church there, of which he became first abbot.For the learning and piety of its monks Einsiedeln has been famous for a thousand years, and many saints and scholars have lived within its walls. The study of letters, printing, and music have greatly flourished there, and the abbey has contributed largely to the glory of the Benedictine Order. It is true that discipline declined somewhat in the fifteenth century and the rule became relaxed, but Ludovicus II, a monk of St. Gall who was Abbot of Einsiedeln 1526-44, succeeded in restoring the stricter observance.In the sixteenth century the religious disturbances caused by the spread of the Protestant Reformation in Switzerland were a source of trouble for some time. Zwingli himself was at Einsiedeln for a while, and used the opportunity for protesting against the famous pilgrimages, but the storm passed over and the abbey was left in peace. Abbot Augustine I (1600–29) was the leader of the movement which resulted in the erection of the Swiss Congregation of the Order of St. Benedict in 1602, and he also did much for the establishment of unrelaxed observance in the abbey and for the promotion of a high standard of scholarship and learning amongst his monks.The pilgrimages, just mentioned, which have never ceased since the days of St Meinrad, have tended to make Einsiedeln the rival even of Rome, Loreto and Santiago de Compostela and constitute one of the features for which the abbey is chiefly celebrated. The pilgrims number from 150,000 to 200,000 annually, from all parts of Catholic Europe. The miraculous statue of Our Lady, originally set up by St Meinrad and later enthroned in the little chapel erected by Eberhard, is the object of their devotion. This chapel stands within the great abbey church, in much the same way as the Holy House at Loreto, encased in marbles and precious woodwork and elaborately decorated, though it has been so often restored, rebuilt and adorned with the offerings of pilgrims that it may be doubted whether much of the original sanctuary still remains.September 14 and October 13 are the chief pilgrimage days, the former being the anniversary of the miraculous consecration of Eberhards basilica and the latter that of the translation of St Meinrads relics from Reichenau to Einsiedeln in 1039. The millenary of St Meinrad was kept there with great splendour in 1861. The great church has been many times rebuilt, the last time by Abbot Maurus between the years 1704 and 1719 and one of its chief treasures now is a magnificent corona presented by Napoleon III when he made a pilgrimage there in 1865. The library, which dates from 946, contains nearly 50,000 volumes and many priceless manuscripts. The work of the monks is divided chiefly between prayer, the confessional and study. At pilgrimage times the number of confessions heard is very large.In 2004 the community numbered 90 priests and 40 lay brothers. Attached to the abbey are a seminary and a college for about 260 pupils who are taught by the monks who also direct six convents of nuns. In 1854 a colony was sent to the United States from Einsiedeln to minister to the local German-speaking population. From St. Meinrad Archabbey, St. Meinrad, Indiana, which was the first settlement, daughter-houses were founded and in 1881 these were formed into the Swiss-American Congregation, which in 2004 comprised 15 monasteries from Canada in the north down to Guatemala, 10 of which were directly founded from Einsiedeln. In the fall of 1887, Abbey Einsiedeln sent eight novices and a friar to Subiaco, Arkansas, United States. A monk, Gall DAujourdhui (Fr. Gall), is considered to be the co-founder of Subiaco Abbey and Academy. Martin (Stefan) Werlen, the 58th Abbot of Einsiedeln was elected in 2001.

_____________________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einsiedeln_Abbey