2023-07-16 PERU

Centenary of the San Luis de Barranco School of Lima

The Marists of Peru, of the Province of Santa MarĂ­a de los Andes, are celebrating this year the centenary of the San Luis School in Barranco, Lima. The work was founded thirteen years after the arrival of the first Marist Brothers in Peru, in 1923.

Br. Pablo González Franco, the Provincial of Santa María de los Andes, the brothers and Marist leaders of the Peru sector, the members of the Marist Animation Community of the country, the directors of the Marist works, some civil authorities of the district of Barranco, the entire educational community of the San Luis school, representatives of parents, former students, and teachers were present for the celebration of the central day, June 21.

The Eucharistic Mass took place at St. Francis of Assisi Parish, presided by Monsignor Juan José Salaverry, auxiliary bishop of Lima, and concelebrated by the school chaplain, Father César Núñez, a Marist priest, and three priests who are former students of the school.

From Rome, Br. Ernesto Sanchez, Superior General, also joined in the celebration. And through a video message, he greeted and congratulated all the Marists of the Province of Santa MarĂ­a de los Andes and the Peru sector for the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Marist School San Luis de Barranco. The Superior General also greeted the school’s principal, management team, teachers, students, and parents. “This celebration is a beautiful occasion to thank so many people who have dedicated themselves to the service of education in these one hundred years, from the founding to the present day. I believe that they have been able to move forward with commitment and dedication, even in difficult times. Along with gratitude for celebrating 100 years. I think it is a great opportunity to look at and evaluate how the dream of Saint Marcellin Champagnat is being lived today in this school and other schools in the country and the province. We also thank Mary, our Good Mother, for her closeness and accompaniment throughout these one hundred years. Congratulations, we are together with you throughout this celebration”

In his speech, Br. Pablo González Franco, Provincial of Santa MarĂ­a de los Andes, highlighted the praiseworthy work of the San Luis School over the years and remarked that “plans to educate children and youth are long-term plans, for 100 years. And that in this centenary where we have remembered the history of the school with its people and works, mainly the gratitude for what we have lived, the 100 fruitful years that precede us, but above all the commitment to build a future because we are heirs of a dream and protagonists of a new beginning …”

The Eucharistic celebration was followed by a protocol ceremony with artistic performances, a shared poem, dances, a choir, and an orchestra. The event concluded with a cake and the singing of the birthday song, animated by the school’s youngest students.

On the occasion of its 100th anniversary, the educational community of Colegio San Luis de Barranco (directors, collaborators, students, parents’ representatives, alumni, and former teachers) began the central feast on June 21 – the feast of St. Luis Gonzaga – but plans to celebrate it throughout 2023.

San Luis Marista College

The planning of the foundation began on December 26, 1922, when Br. Luis, a member of the first Marist community in Peru, from Callao, Peru, decided to found the community, and writes a letter to the Archbishop of Lima stating that “he has received the order to initiate the necessary steps to obtain the authorization to open a school of first and second education in Barranco”. Three days later, the Vicar General, Sanchez Diaz, responded positively to the request, initiating the project.

Among the promoters of the construction of the San Luis school were Brothers GedeĂłn, Froilán MarĂ­a, and Emilio ValentĂ­n, three distinguished Marists from Saint Joseph’s College in the district of Callao, who arrived in Barranco on February 6, 1923, to receive the keys from Mrs. Pazos Varela of the first building located at 132 Ermita Street.

The work of these brothers was mainly preparatory, considering that the three founding brothers of the school arrived from Chile at the beginning of March 1923. They were Brothers Plácido Luis and Bruno Andrés, who took over as director and assistant director, respectively, followed by Brother Enrique Luis.
The first students began their studies on March 12, 1923.

Photos in Facebook

PREV

Meeting of the Regional Committee of América...

NEXT

Marist Educators’ Congress 2023...