Marist Community of the Hermitage

The Hermitage is a property an hour by road from Lyons, France, and a set of buildings, one of which was built by Fr Champagnat, Brothers and local builders in 1824.  In 2010 the renovated Hermitage was inaugurated as a centre for Marist pilgrimage, followed by a complete refurbishment of Lavalla in 2013. The community welcomesand accompanies mainly Marist groups from around the world and local parish groups.

It is an international community, Brothers and Laypeople, living under the same roof, sharing in a fraternal life, praying together and being co-responsible for their ministryto pilgrims. Their ideal is to be “an icon of a Church-communion, with a Marial face, an icon of Marist apostolic spirituality and an icon of the work of renewal going on in the Institute”.

Community members share their knowledge and passion for the charism of St Marcellin.  While the language of the community is French, their outreach to international groups requires a diversity of home languages of the members. An intercultural spirit is part of their witness.

A trial period is suggested for intending members.

For more information:

Notre Dame de l'Hermitage - Maristes